Workouts. Am I right? We all want results and we want them now! An hour of cardio followed by weights and stretching?? Ain’t nobody got time for that!
Here’s where kettlebells come in.
Where are you on your workout journey?
Been contemplating moving more? Have you started doing a little bit and want to add to it? Are you a runner that wants to add more strength and endurance? Have you been blocking out anything workout related since “the incident”? (And yes, I want details!)
For anyone looking to try something that works and doesn’t take all damn day, you NEED to give kettlebells a try.
Just get started. Results will soon follow and then there will be no turning back.
(This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase through one of the product links, I’ll receive some pennies at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting Lazy Sundays!)
Kettlebells. You’ve heard of them. Here’s why…
– Kettlebell workouts combine cardio, strength and flexibility training into one handy little session. And because of the intensive nature, the workout duration must be kept short so you’re not putting hours into getting results.
– Kettlebells are portable! You can train in your bedroom, in front of the TV or even in your backyard. You don’t need a lot of space. And when you’re done, store the kettlebells almost anywhere.
– You won’t bulk up. (This is important for all the ladies out there!) You will get strong, lean muscles through the high-intensity, calorie-burning workouts.
– You can’t just “go through the motions” with kettlebell workouts. The weights are naturally off balance so at each moment, the lifter must be focused on the movement. The result is improved coordination and mental focus.
– Kettlebells require you to engage the core in almost every lift. A strong core is key to great workout form, strong backs and good posture.
– Variety! There are so many moves that you can combine into a workout you like to do. Start to get bored with your routine or just want to keep it interesting from the beginning? Put together a brand new workout or rotate between a few of your favorites to keep things fresh.
– Kettlebells work! Think of all the things you’ve tried that didn’t get results, either because they didn’t work or because they didn’t work fast enough to keep you interested. Kettlebells are different. The results and variety keep you going.
You want to give kettlebells a try. (Yes!) Now what?
First, you’ll need to decide which size kettlebells to get.
VeryWell.com gave this great recommendation list.
“Below are some general guidelines to use when choosing your weight. These are only suggestions, so err on the lighter side if you’re not sure:
- 5-10 lbs – For women new to kettlebell training
- 10-15 lbs – For fit women somewhat familiar with kettlebell training or men who are new to kettlebell training
- 20-25 lbs – For fit women who’ve tried kettlebell training or men who are familiar with kettlebells
- 30 lbs and up – For very fit people with previous kettlebell experience”
When I bought my set of kettlebells, I had been doing very little strength training and ran a few times a week. I bought a set with 15, 20 and 25 pound kettlebells. That was the perfect set and I feel that starting lower than 15 pounds wouldn’t have been challenging enough and I would’ve had to move up in weight rather quickly. I don’t have a lot of natural upper body strength so you may want to take that into consideration when making your choice.
Now, let’s look into getting your very first set of kettlebells. Here are mine. Aww, aren’t they just precious?
I really do love them. And I love Amazon. I make most purchases based on reviews and these won.
These kettlebells have smooth handles that don’t hurt your hands and a vinyl coating so they don’t hurt your floor. Want to get this exact set? Easy peasy, here’s the link to my kettlebells. And it looks like they’re quite a bit cheaper than when I got them so that’s a win!
And now to best part, putting together your workout!
You’ll need to research which moves you’d like to do, which moves you can do and what type of results you want to get out of kettlebells. I’ve created a Pinterest board devoted to ONLY kettlebells. Get to it here. Follow my kettlebells board, or better yet, all of Lazy Sundays’ boards. You’d make my day.
It is ESSENTIAL for safety and for ideal results to have proper form when doing any move. Take the time to learn it correctly and you’ll reap the rewards.
I had to look up how to do every one of these movements so that is definitely something you’ll need to do too.
Good form and consistency is key in getting results from any workout.
Luckily, someone spent some serious time putting together this Periodic Table of Kettlebell Exercises. It’s downright genius.
Each move has a square on the board and when you click on it, it takes you to a video of how the move is done. Videos are the ideal way to learn proper form.
There are a million and one kettlebell workouts out there. The one I do only uses a few moves and goes by time, not reps.
The moves I’ve chosen focus on arms because I use them in addition to running. If I wanted to use kettlebells as my ONLY workout, I would put together a workout with moves that focus on both arms and legs.
Perform each exercise for 1 minute. Rest for 45 seconds between each move. Repeat 2 times.
- Kettlebells swings
- Military Press, both sides
- Clean & Press, both sides
And that’s it for my arm workout. Quick yet it gets results.
After only a few weeks of doing kettlebell workouts 2-3 times per week, you’ll start seeing results. You’ll feel stronger, you’ll be able to carry even more bags of groceries in one trip (goals!), you’ll be able to move up in kettlebell weight and notice toning in places you may have never seen tone before.
I can’t wait for you to give kettlebells a try. We live in a society of instant gratification. There is no “quick fix” to getting in shape but kettlebells are a step in the right direction.
Have you been getting in some great workouts and now need to pamper yourself? Read all about getting a massage and let me convince you that you need one! Treat yo self!
Been working hard so you’ve earned a treat? Like one of the best desserts around? Sign up here, be subscribed to all of Lazy Sundays’ fun and get the recipe for Salted Caramel Peanut Butter & Oatmeal Bars emailed right to you. Soooo good! Worthy of a cheat day.